Writing update

October 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm (Uncategorized)

I’ve been slowly cutting words from SKOF. I’m down from 113,500 to 110,000. Most of those cuts were scaffolding and unnecessary sentences. I’m getting rid of everything I can see* that doesn’t add anything to the story. The problem so far has been that, with the first half of the book, every scene has been necessary. I’ve only been able to cut three words here, another three somewhere else, and maybe ten or fifteen if I get rid of a whole sentence, though I did get giddy-happy when I deleted 500 words at once two days ago.

And today I’m happy again. I think I might be able to combine the next two chapters and cut somewhere around 2k! I’m desperately trying to get this monster under 100,000 words. Did some more research on genre word counts, and it looks like anything over 100k is one more hurdle I’ll have to overcome. SKOF is written in first person present; I don’t need any more hurdles.  

* I’m so going to need another round of beta readers on this. I’m afraid I’m too close to the story to see stuff that isn’t necessary. Plus, I’m worried some of the plot changes I’ve made aren’t completely making it from my head to the page. The only way to know for sure is to have someone unfamiliar with the story give it a read.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: